January 17, 2009 - Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick highlighted the significance of broadband in his "State of the Commonwealth" address on Thursday, January 15.
Jobs from extending broadband services was the first item mentioned in his list of the way that pending federal stimulus legislation could promote economic recovery in Massachusetts:
"I asked you to invest significantly over the next few years in rebuilding our college campuses, expanding broadband access, improving public and affordable housing, upgrading our parks and open spaces, and restoring our roads, rails and bridges - and you did." ...
"At the federal level, we are working hard to help shape a federal stimulus package to bridge us to a better economy. If and when that package is passed, we will be ready to get projects underway and put people to work. That means jobs extending broadband services; jobs installing solar panels, wind turbines, and weather stripping; jobs rebuilding roads, rails and bridges; jobs modernizing our health care records management system and building schools."
Documents Referenced in this Article
- "State of the Commonwealth Address," Gov. Deval Patrick (D), January 15, 2009
- In Interview With New York Times Editorial Board, Joe Biden Urges Revoking Section 230
- Senate Commerce Hearing Tackles Barriers to the Short-Staffed 5G Deployment Initiatives
- Todd Foje: Can High-Speed Broadband Finally Bridge the Gap Between Rural and Urban Communities?
- Broadband Roundup: Digital Inclusion Often Falls Short, Rumble Over Roomba Spectrum, Deal Over Education SuperHighway
- Gordon Smith: Can a 5G Fund Connect Rural America at 21st Century Speeds?
Signup for Broadband Breakfast
Open Access4 weeks ago
UTOPIA Fiber: A Model Open-Access Network
China2 months ago
Prakash Sangam: China’s Huawei Clones Are Greater Threat to National Security than Huawei
Broadband Mapping & Data3 months ago
Broadband Data From Providers Needs to be Checked With Data From Users, Say Panelists at Mapping Event
Open Access3 months ago
UTOPIA Fiber Announces Partnerships with Morgan, Utah, Idaho Falls, and Other Cities
Education3 months ago
State Educational Technology Officials Say Better Broadband Necessary for Pedagogy and Equity
FCC1 month ago
Telephony Industry Rises to the Challenge of Robocalls, With Legislation, Regulation and Enforcement Close Behind
FCC2 months ago
As Next Year’s C-Band Auction Looms, FCC Officials Reflect on Innovation in Spectrum Auctions
House of Representatives3 months ago
C-Band Hearing Showcases Divisions Over Auctions, Uses of Radio Frequencies