WASHINGTON, August 6, 2009 – A top Federal Communications Commission official sent letters of inquiry on Friday to Apple, AT&T and Google over Apple’s move to block Google’s voice technology on the iPhone.
James Schlichting, acting chief for the Wireless Telecommunications Bureau, asked Apple Vice President Catherine Novelli why Apple had rejected Google’s Voice application and removed related third-party applications from its app store. He also asked Novelli to identify which third-party applications had been removed or rejected.
Schlichting also asked whether Apple had acted alone or in consultation with AT&T and whether or not there were any contractual or non-contractual conditions with AT&T affecting Apple’s decision.
In his letter to James Cicconi, senior executive vice president of external and legislative affairs at AT&T, Schlichting asked similar questions and whether any devices operating on AT&T’s network allow use of the Google Voice application. He also inquired whether other applications have been rejected for the iPhone and whether consumers’ access to and usage of Google Voice is disabled on the iPhone but permitted on other handsets such as Research in Motion’s BlackBerry devices.
According to a report by Jason Kincaid in TechCrunch, John Gruber, a technical writer and technology pundit, “has confirmed with a trusted source that AT&T is to blame for the Google Voice ban.”
This allegation has met with some skepticism.
According to a report by Om Malik on Gigaom, this allegation that AT&T is behind Apple’s blocking of Google Voice is “flat-out wrong.”
“If it were true,” said Malik, “then Google Voice would be banned on BlackBerry devices that use AT&T as well….As of this morning, everything is working fine on my AT&T-connected Bold.
Malik also noted that AT&T’s voice network is needed to send and receive Google Voice calls.
Accord to a report by Marin Perez on Information Week, AT&T states that it does not manage or approve applications for the App Store.
“We have received the letter and will, of course, respond to it,” said AT&T spokesman Michael Balmoris.
Schlichting also sent a letter to Richard Whitt, Washington telecom and media counsel member at Google, asking whether an explanation was given for Apple’s rejection, whether Apple has approved any Google applications for the Apple App Store, what services they provide, and whether Google has any other proposed applications pending with Apple.
"We will continue to work to bring our services to iPhone users, for example by taking advantage of advances in mobile browsers,” said Google Global Communications and Public Affairs spokesman Dan Martin.
“We will be supplying the information that the commission has requested," he said.
“Consumers everywhere should be pleased at the quick response of the Federal Communications Commission to the reports that Apple was blocking access to the Google Voice application, said Public Knowledge President Gigi Sohn.
“This is exactly the type of aggressive, pro-consumer, pro-competitive action that we want to see from the FCC, and which has been long mission from the commission’s policy agenda,” she said.
Sohn said she looks forward to reading the official responses to the commission’s letters from Apple and AT&T.
The letters are part of a trend showing that the FCC is trying to craft a more open market where consumers can access mobile networks easier, said Charles Golvin, analyst with Forrester Research.
According to a report by AP technology writer Michael Liedtke on ABCNews, just days after the letters were sent, Google CEO Eric Schmidt resigned from the Apple board, “because of the companies' conflicting interests as competition between the one-time allies heats up.
- FCC Mid-band Auctions Show Promise for 5G and Future Innovation, Say FCBA Panelists
- Broadband Roundup: Trump’s Media Bias Panel, Facebook Shops, Virtual Private Networks in Hong Kong
- Senators Introduce Healthcare Broadband Bill as House Companion, Proposes $2 Billion Telehealth Expansion
- Kurt Schaubach: The Top 5 Benefits of Shared Spectrum for Cable Operators
- Slogans About Data Portability on Tech Platforms Don’t Capture Intellectual Property and Interoperability Issues
Signup for Broadband Breakfast
China4 weeks ago
China Expert Predicts that Nation’s Flawed Coronavirus Response Will Damage the Power of Chinese Communist Party
Broadband Data1 month ago
CenturyLink CTO Boasts Success in Handling Coronavirus-Induced ‘Hot’ Networks, Credits Company’s Fiber Push
Big Tech3 weeks ago
The Rise, Reign, and Self-Repair of Zoom
Congress19 hours ago
Senators Introduce Healthcare Broadband Bill as House Companion, Proposes $2 Billion Telehealth Expansion
Net Neutrality1 month ago
Public Interest Groups Blast FCC For Refusal to Extend Public Safety Deadline on Net Neutrality Comments
#broadbandlive4 weeks ago
Broadband Breakfast Live Online on Wednesday, April 29, 2020 – Will the Coronavirus Lead to a Loss of Privacy? Weighing Contact Tracing and Broadband Surveillance
Broadband's Impact1 month ago
Artificial Intelligence Not Very Helpful in Addressing the Coronavirus, Say Experts on Brookings Panel
Rural3 weeks ago
Why the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund is So Significant, and How to Succeed in Applying For RDOF