WASHINGTON, February 8, 2010 - The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has agreed to reexamine a voice-over-Internet protocol patent at the request of the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
The EFF says that Acceris Communications Technologies, which has since changed its name to C2 Communications Technologies, was awarded the patent for hardware, software and processes for implementing VoIP using analog phones as endpoints, which includes many phone calls made over the Internet.
EFF and law firm Fenwick and West filed a reexamination request showing a prior patent and published reference materials before Acceris made its claim.
The PTO has said that there are substantial new questions of patentability, according to EFF.
In 2006, C2 sued major U.S. telecommunications carriers, including AT&T, Verizon and Qwest, alleging they were infringing the patent.
- Smart Cities Connect to Hold 2020 Global Event Honoring 50 Smart Projects
- Broadband Roundup: More on the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund, 5G National Advocacy, and Policy Hackers
- Panelists on NTIA Broadband Webinar Say Smart Buildings Boost Civic Resiliency and Public Health
- Dynamic Spectrum Sharing Subject of Debate at Senate Commerce Committee Hearing on the Future
- FTC Settlement with YouTube Has Creators Upset and Worried About FTC Approach to Children’s Privacy
Signup for Broadband Breakfast
China2 months ago
Prakash Sangam: China’s Huawei Clones Are Greater Threat to National Security than Huawei
Open Access3 weeks ago
UTOPIA Fiber: A Model Open-Access Network
Broadband's Impact3 months ago
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai Praises Agency’s Work in Promoting High-Speed Internet at ‘Broadband Heros’ Event
Open Access2 months ago
UTOPIA Fiber Announces Partnerships with Morgan, Utah, Idaho Falls, and Other Cities
Broadband Mapping & Data3 months ago
Broadband Data From Providers Needs to be Checked With Data From Users, Say Panelists at Mapping Event
Education2 months ago
State Educational Technology Officials Say Better Broadband Necessary for Pedagogy and Equity
FCC2 months ago
As Next Year’s C-Band Auction Looms, FCC Officials Reflect on Innovation in Spectrum Auctions
FCC1 month ago
Telephony Industry Rises to the Challenge of Robocalls, With Legislation, Regulation and Enforcement Close Behind