WASHINGTON August 6, 2010 – Attached to yesterday’s Federal Medical Assistance Percentage Bill was an amendment which removed “$302 million in Recovery Act funding provided to the Department of Commerce for broadband grants.” The bill passed the Senate 61-38.
Overall the amendment includes $7.5 billion in recessions as offsets.
House Speaker Pelosi has already called back the House from their August recess in order to vote on this bill.
Interestingly the sponsor of the amendment which removed the broadband funding, Senator Patty Murray (D- WA) has just introduced a bill to improve broadband. Senate bill 3710 entitled “A bill to improve broadband coverage and service throughout the United States, especially in rural and tribal areas, and spectrum coverage for public safety broadband communication services, and for other purposes.” The text of the bill has not yet been released.
- Broadband Roundup: More on the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund, 5G National Advocacy, and Policy Hackers
- Panelists on NTIA Broadband Webinar Say Smart Buildings Boost Civic Resiliency and Public Health
- Dynamic Spectrum Sharing Subject of Debate at Senate Commerce Committee Hearing on the Future
- FTC Settlement with YouTube Has Creators Upset and Worried About FTC Approach to Children’s Privacy
- Government Needs to Step Up and Regulate AI Algorithms, Argue Authors at Brookings Institution
Signup for Broadband Breakfast
China2 months ago
Prakash Sangam: China’s Huawei Clones Are Greater Threat to National Security than Huawei
Open Access3 weeks ago
UTOPIA Fiber: A Model Open-Access Network
Broadband's Impact3 months ago
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai Praises Agency’s Work in Promoting High-Speed Internet at ‘Broadband Heros’ Event
Open Access2 months ago
UTOPIA Fiber Announces Partnerships with Morgan, Utah, Idaho Falls, and Other Cities
Broadband Mapping & Data3 months ago
Broadband Data From Providers Needs to be Checked With Data From Users, Say Panelists at Mapping Event
FCC2 months ago
As Next Year’s C-Band Auction Looms, FCC Officials Reflect on Innovation in Spectrum Auctions
Education2 months ago
State Educational Technology Officials Say Better Broadband Necessary for Pedagogy and Equity
House of Representatives3 months ago
C-Band Hearing Showcases Divisions Over Auctions, Uses of Radio Frequencies