People familiar with the negotiations said that after more than a year's delay, Spotify was considering launching in the U.S. with music from just two or three of the four big labels -- Universal, Sony, Warner and EMI -- a move that could diminish its appeal
Spotify is available as an online music streaming service in Finland, France, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom. The service currently has seven million subscribers.
Though those markets are relatively small, the music service has garnered both rave reviews from the likes of Facebook Founder Mark Zuckerberg and investments from big-name investors, including Napster creator Sean Fanning and Hong Kong billionaire and shipping magnate Li Ka-Shing.
But Google is working on its own online music locker service, and Facebook recently hired away Spotify's chief designer, suggesting that the Spotify has a limited window of time in which to successfully launch in the United States.
Spotify recently revealed that it's losing money, and is spending a lot on licensing fees.
- Broadband Roundup: Justice Clarence Thomas Expresses Regret on Brand X, Clearview AI Hacked, Online Privacy Act
- Registration Available for Digital Infrastructure Investment at Broadband Communities Summit on April 27, 2020
- In the Quest to Build a Better Map, Many Non-Profits and Consultants Bring Creativity and Grit to Broadband Data
- America is Either ‘In Very Good Shape’ or Has ‘Big Catch-Up’ in 5G Race with China
- Broadband Roundup: Tesla Cars Ain’t Driverless, Suspicious Bernie Sanders Facebook Posts, ReConnect Awards
Signup for Broadband Breakfast
Digital Inclusion3 weeks ago
New Technology of Augmented Reality, Including Eye Control, Enable Greater Access By Disability Community
Broadband's Impact1 month ago
Todd Foje: Can High-Speed Broadband Finally Bridge the Gap Between Rural and Urban Communities?
Broadband Data4 weeks ago
Despite Promising Gains in Connectivity, Report from Broadband Now Highlights the Extent of the Digital Divide
5G1 month ago
Gordon Smith: Can a 5G Fund Connect Rural America at 21st Century Speeds?
Expert Opinion3 weeks ago
An Open Letter to Gwynne Shotwell, Elon Musk and Starlink Leadership: Three Reasons to Make Starlink Open Access for America’s Local ISPs
Broadband's Impact4 weeks ago
Rural Healthcare Providers Could Be Surprised by FCC’s Recent Changes to Rural Healthcare Program
Expert Opinion3 weeks ago
Jeff Grappone: State of the Union Address Is No Longer the Political Equivalent of the Super Bowl
China1 week ago
Tech Officials Diagnose Excessive Trump Actions as Product of ‘Huawei Derangement Syndrome’