Broadband Breakfast Insight: This was an excellent webinar discussion probing connectivity, and helping government, non-profit and industry users to visualize data about connectivity. Think of this as the kind of activity that the National Broadband Map was designed to achieve. ->
Mapping Connected Health County by County Webinar, a webinar of the Federal Communications Commission on Thursday, November 10
The Federal Communications Commission’s Connect2Health Task Force and the Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau’s Office of Intergovernmental Affairs jointly hosted a webinar to further explore the potential of the recently launched Mapping Broadband Health in America platform for the public sector. This free, one-hour "deeper dive" webinar was particularly tailored to the needs and interests of state and local government offices and agencies.
Mapping Broadband Health in America (available at www.fcc.gov/health/maps), is a web-based mapping platform created by the Connect2HealthFCC Task Force to drive more efficient, data-driven decision making at the intersection of broadband and health. Users can generate customized, county-level maps that drive action ― displaying broadband access, adoption and speed data alongside various health outcomes, access and quality measures (e.g., obesity, diabetes, and physician access) in urban and rural areas. The mapping platform can be used by both public and private sectors and local communities to identify gaps and opportunities in connected health.
This webinar focused on how state and local government offices, agencies and other local community stakeholders can effectively use the Mapping Broadband Health in America platform. Key audiences for the webinar included federal, state and local agencies and offices that address health, connectivity, technology and/or rural development.
The webinar featured:
- An overview of the power of the platform, showcasing the broadband, health and rural “filters” that drive the functionality;
- Step-by-step instructions and user scenarios tailored to how agencies can use the platform to drive broadband health efforts in their respective areas and communities;
- Information on how agency web developers and data experts can incorporate their own proprietary or public datasets of interest into the mapping platform – our so-called, “open integration” model; and
- An opportunity to pose questions about the broadband health mapping platform to Connect2HealthFCC experts.
- Dr. Yahya Shaikh, Chief Data Officer at Greystone Health IT Solutions and Senior Consultant to the Connect2HealthFCC Task Force;
- Karen Onyeije, Chief of Staff, Connect2HealthFCC Task Force; and
- Katie Gorscak, Director of Communications, Connect2HealthFCC Task Force.