BROADBAND BREAKFAST INSIGHT: Open access networks, such as those proposed by SiFi Networks, are important because they allow for the next generation applications and services. This story updates how a Rhode Island community is considering the company for its fiber network.
Economic Development Commission keeps SIFI high-speed Internet idea alive
WESTERLY — The Economic Development Commission is studying a high-speed internet proposal that was previously abandoned by the Town Council.
The commission interviewed a representative of SIFI Networks by telephone during its monthly meeting on April 12. The company was the lone respondent to a request, issued by Town Manager Derrik M. Kennedy in January 2016, for proposals from companies interested in building a municipal fiber-optic system. At the time, Kennedy was looking for a company willing to build a high-speed fiber to the premise system.
The EDC has had SIFI on its agenda for months.
- Broadband Roundup: Zuckerberg and EU Discuss Rules for Facebook, Trumps Supports Oracle, Nevada Caucus Anxieties
- Criminal Justice Reform Advocates Agree that Current AI Assessment Tools are Garbage, But Differ on How to Proceed
- Attorney General Bill Barr Calls for ‘Recalibrated’ Section 230 as Justice Department Hosts Tech Immunity Workshop
- Broadband Roundup: Global Internet Censorship, Tribal Divide, Klobuchar on the Broadband Stump
- Misinformation Expert Warns About the Great Risks of Political Tampering In the 2020 Election
Signup for Broadband Breakfast
Broadband Data9 months ago
Pennsylvania Broadband Speeds Worse Than Previously Believed, According to State Report
Intellectual Property7 months ago
In Congressional Oversight Hearing, Register of Copyrights Says Office Is Responding to Online Users
Broadband Data8 months ago
California Report: Income Most Significant Factor in Low Broadband Adoption
FCC10 years ago
Telecom Companies Are Using Fight Interrupting Oscar Ceremony Broadcast To Manipulate Public and FCC, Argue Broadcasters
Broadband Roundup6 months ago
Cable Industry Touts Energy Efficiency, Next Century Highlights Open Access Fiber, Aspen Forum Set
Privacy and Security6 months ago
Comparing Privacy Policies for Wearable Fitness Trackers: Apple, Fitbit, Xiaomi and Under Armour
Open Access2 months ago
UTOPIA Fiber: A Model Open-Access Network
Antitrust5 months ago
Addressing the Impact of Big Data Upon Antitrust is More Complicated Than a Big Tech Breakup