WASHINGTON, January 22, 2018 - The Federal Communications Commission will remain open despite the current government shutdown because the agency has enough funding available to function through Friday, January 26, FCC Managing Director Mark Stephens said in an email to employees which was obtained by BroadbandBreakfast.com
"Employees therefore should report to work as scheduled on Monday, January 22," Stephens wrote. "We will keep you updated on any chances to our operating status beyond January 26."
Funding for the federal government expired at midnight Friday when Congress failed to agree on a funding bill to keep the government running. The Trump Administration has sought to mitigate the effects of the government shutdown by allowing agencies to use any available funding to stay open as long as possible.
(Photo of Federal Communications Commission by the FCC used with permission.)
- Todd Foje: Can High-Speed Broadband Finally Bridge the Gap Between Rural and Urban Communities?
- Broadband Roundup: Digital Inclusion Often Falls Short, Rumble Over Roomba Spectrum, Deal Over Education SuperHighway
- Gordon Smith: Can a 5G Fund Connect Rural America at 21st Century Speeds?
- Smart Cities Connect to Hold 2020 Global Event Honoring 50 Smart Projects
- Broadband Roundup: More on the Rural Digital Opportunity Fund, 5G National Advocacy, and Policy Hackers
Signup for Broadband Breakfast
Open Access4 weeks ago
UTOPIA Fiber: A Model Open-Access Network
China2 months ago
Prakash Sangam: China’s Huawei Clones Are Greater Threat to National Security than Huawei
Broadband's Impact3 months ago
FCC Chairman Ajit Pai Praises Agency’s Work in Promoting High-Speed Internet at ‘Broadband Heros’ Event
Open Access3 months ago
UTOPIA Fiber Announces Partnerships with Morgan, Utah, Idaho Falls, and Other Cities
Broadband Mapping & Data3 months ago
Broadband Data From Providers Needs to be Checked With Data From Users, Say Panelists at Mapping Event
Education3 months ago
State Educational Technology Officials Say Better Broadband Necessary for Pedagogy and Equity
FCC1 month ago
Telephony Industry Rises to the Challenge of Robocalls, With Legislation, Regulation and Enforcement Close Behind
FCC2 months ago
As Next Year’s C-Band Auction Looms, FCC Officials Reflect on Innovation in Spectrum Auctions