BROADBAND BREAKFAST INSIGHT - Views differ on the extent of Google Fiber progress, or persistence, throughout the country, and particularly here in Utah. I have cousins in both Provo and Salt Lake, each of whom have Google Fiber, each of whom love Google Fiber. And yet reports such as this one highlight the key need to manage expectations about availability in deploying advanced fiber broadband.
Years later, Google Fiber availability still pending in Salt Lake, Utah Counties, from KUTV:
(KUTV) — Provo was one of the first cities in the country to become a Google Fiber city. The announcement was made back in April of 2013. But five years later, some in Provo are still waiting for that service — and they're not the only Utahns with questions.
Shana Shelton says she's frustrated. She signed up for Google Fiber more than five months ago for her Provo home.
“The reason we went with Google Fiber was because one of our son-in-laws had it when he was a student and loved it and really talked up how modern it is and how fast it is and everything,” she said.
- Broadband Breakfast Live Online on Wednesday, April 15, 2020 – Infrastructure Investment in a Time of COVID19
- Coronavirus Roundup: Senators Question Google on Privacy, UTOPIA CEO on Fiber’s Inevitability, NCTA’s COVID19 Dashboard
- Syracuse, N.Y., and Other Cities Discuss Process of Coexistence With ‘Small Cell’ Wireless Technology in Rights-of-Way
- FCC Chairman Ajit Pai, on Webcast with New America, Singles out Telehealth as Beneficiary of New Unlicensed Spectrum
- Coronavirus Roundup: Changes to ‘Team Telecom’ Foreign Asset Review, Broadband Now on Telehealth, CoSN on Homework Gap
Signup for Broadband Breakfast
Education3 days ago
Online Elementary Education is No Spring Break for Parents Teaching from Home
Health3 days ago
Coronavirus May Have Changed Everything, But Not the Human Capacity For Good
Net Neutrality1 month ago
FCC Seeks Comment on Net Neutrality Issues Remanded by Appeals Court: Public Safety, Pole Attachments and Lifeline
Health3 weeks ago
Broadband Breakfast Live Online Will Stream Daily in March on ‘Broadband and the Coronavirus’
Health1 month ago
Battling Coronavirus COVID-19, Broadband Could Provide Relief Although Telemedicine May Not Help
Broadband Mapping3 weeks ago
Commerce Department’s NTIA Details Its New-Found Progress in Broadband Mapping Technology
Antitrust2 weeks ago
Information Technology and Innovation Foundation Brings Global Antitrust Experts Together in Videoconference
Broadband Roundup3 weeks ago
Coronavirus Roundup: Broadband Providers Take the Pledge, T-Mobile Spectrum, Rural Health Care Funding