Better Broadband Better Lives

Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross Said Trump Hadn’t Made a Decision on Huawei’s Chief Financial Officer

in Asia/Broadband's Impact by

WASHINGTON, December 12, 2018 — President Trump has not yet made a decision as to whether he would attempt to intervene to stop the Department of Justice from prosecuting Huawei Chief Financial Officer Meng Wanzhou, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross said Wednesday in an interview with BroadbandBreakfast.com.

During a Tuesday interview with Reuters, Trump said he would be willing to intervene on Meng’s behalf if it is in the United States’ best interests.

Canadian authorities arrested Meng, the daughter of the electronics giant’s founder and one of the wealthiest women in China on December 1, following a request from the U.S. Department of Justice.  She is charged with fraud relating to alleged violations of U.S. sanctions against Iran.

Trump previously intervened to ease penalties the Commerce Department levied against Chinese telecommunications giant ZTE earlier this year after executives were discovered to have deceived American authorities about the extent to which the company violated sanctions against North Korea.

When asked if Trump’s apparent intention to once again negate consequences faced by a Chinese company for violating U.S. sanctions rendered the sanctions meaningless, Ross cautioned BroadbandBreakfast against drawing conclusions from a potential decision which the president has yet to make.

“Let’s see what he actually decides, let’s see where we go from there,” Ross said while speaking to reporters outside the West Wing.

Trump’s previous intervention, Ross noted, came in response to a request by Chinese President Xi Jinping.

“Last time, President Xi called him and asked him to do it as a personal favor, that doesn’t mean it’s a precedent for all time,” he said.

(Photo of Wilbur Ross by the White House.)

Andrew Feinberg is the White House Correspondent and Managing Editor for Breakfast Media. He rejoined BroadbandBreakfast.com in late 2016 after working as a staff writer at The Hill and as a freelance writer. He worked at BroadbandBreakfast.com from its founding in 2008 to 2010, first as a Reporter and then as Deputy Editor. He also covered the White House for Russia's Sputnik News from the beginning of the Trump Administration until he was let go for refusing to use White House press briefings to promote conspiracy theories, and later documented the experience in a story which set off a chain of events leading to Sputnik being forced to register under the Foreign Agents Registration Act. Andrew's work has appeared in such publications as The Hill, Politico, Communications Daily, Washington Internet Daily, Washington Business Journal, The Sentinel Newspapers, FastCompany.TV, Mashable, and Silicon Angle.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*

Latest from Asia

Go to Top