Exciting things are happening at UTOPIA Fiber. The network, the largest operational open-access network in the United States, is in a period of major growth and expansion.
The network has been working to get fiber extended to every home and business within its 11 member cities. Here is a breakdown of the some of the network's most noteworthy progress:
- The Morgan City Council this week unanimously voted to partner with UTOPIA Fiber to improve internet service throughout their city. Morgan is a small, rural community in Utah with approximately 1,600 homes that will soon have better connectivity than major U.S. cities. Faster and more reliable internet connections will make a significant impact on their local businesses and community, which includes over 150 home-based businesses. By the end of spring 2020, it is anticipated that all businesses and residents in Morgan to have access to UTOPIA Fiber internet.
- Big news for Orem: UTOPIA Fiber has completed all of the OR009 precint. Now, about 250 additional homes in Orem, Utah, can sign up for the fastest speeds in the country. If you live in this area of Orem, you can sign up here. Or call UTOPIA Fiber's customer service department at 801-613-3880. For all other areas of Orem, view UTOPIA Fiber availability maps and build-out timelines for information on when you will be able to sign up.
- Due to strong demand, Payson City, Utah, has decided to expedite their UTOPIA Fiber timeline and will see more footprints open there by the end of the year. Payson residents cand view UTOPIA Fiber service maps, build-out timelines, and information on how to sign up for services.
- UTOPIA Fiber has started building in West Point, Utah, and will be able to service its first customers there in spring of 2020.
- Layton, Utah, has also decided to expedite their timeline. Due to a super-fast build out, UTOPIA Fiber is well ahead of schedule and will complete its entire footprints in Layton by the end of 2019.
- Idaho Falls Fiber in Idaho Falls, Idaho, has voted to extend its high-speed fiber network to the entire city. UTOPIA Fiber is the operational partner of Idaho Falls Fiber, and will continue to support their success and development.
About UTOPIA Fiber
The Utah Telecommunication Open Infrastructure Agency (UTOPIA) is a community-owned fiber optic network utilizing light to transfer information, making it the fastest communication and data transfer technology in use today. Created by a group of Utah cities, UTOPIA Fiber supports open-access and promotes competition in all telecommunication services. For more information, contact Kim McKinley, Chief Marketing Officer, UTOPIA Fiber.
- Panelists Debate Federal Role in Digital Privacy, But Agree Upon Need to Minimize Algorithmic Bias
- FCC ‘Coloring Outside the Lines’ on Broadband Mapping, Say Critics at Next Century Cities Event
- Broadband Advocates at Next Century Cities Emphasize Importance of Building Community Networks
- Advocates for Digital Inclusion Address Different Facets of Bridging the Digital Divide
- New America Highlights the Broadband Prices Available on Ammon, Idaho’s Open Access Network
Signup for Broadband Breakfast
Open Access1 month ago
UTOPIA Fiber: A Model Open-Access Network
China2 months ago
Prakash Sangam: China’s Huawei Clones Are Greater Threat to National Security than Huawei
Broadband Mapping & Data3 months ago
Broadband Data From Providers Needs to be Checked With Data From Users, Say Panelists at Mapping Event
FCC2 months ago
Telephony Industry Rises to the Challenge of Robocalls, With Legislation, Regulation and Enforcement Close Behind
FCC Workshops2 weeks ago
Indian Tribes Will Have Six-Month Window of Opportunity to Apply for Former EBS Spectrum at 2.5 GigaHertz
Education3 months ago
State Educational Technology Officials Say Better Broadband Necessary for Pedagogy and Equity
FCC3 months ago
As Next Year’s C-Band Auction Looms, FCC Officials Reflect on Innovation in Spectrum Auctions
House of Representatives3 months ago
C-Band Hearing Showcases Divisions Over Auctions, Uses of Radio Frequencies