Exciting things are happening at UTOPIA Fiber. The network, the largest operational open-access network in the United States, is in a period of major growth and expansion.
The network has been working to get fiber extended to every home and business within its 11 member cities. Here is a breakdown of the some of the network's most noteworthy progress:
- The Morgan City Council this week unanimously voted to partner with UTOPIA Fiber to improve internet service throughout their city. Morgan is a small, rural community in Utah with approximately 1,600 homes that will soon have better connectivity than major U.S. cities. Faster and more reliable internet connections will make a significant impact on their local businesses and community, which includes over 150 home-based businesses. By the end of spring 2020, it is anticipated that all businesses and residents in Morgan to have access to UTOPIA Fiber internet.
- Big news for Orem: UTOPIA Fiber has completed all of the OR009 precint. Now, about 250 additional homes in Orem, Utah, can sign up for the fastest speeds in the country. If you live in this area of Orem, you can sign up here. Or call UTOPIA Fiber's customer service department at 801-613-3880. For all other areas of Orem, view UTOPIA Fiber availability maps and build-out timelines for information on when you will be able to sign up.
- Due to strong demand, Payson City, Utah, has decided to expedite their UTOPIA Fiber timeline and will see more footprints open there by the end of the year. Payson residents cand view UTOPIA Fiber service maps, build-out timelines, and information on how to sign up for services.
- UTOPIA Fiber has started building in West Point, Utah, and will be able to service its first customers there in spring of 2020.
- Layton, Utah, has also decided to expedite their timeline. Due to a super-fast build out, UTOPIA Fiber is well ahead of schedule and will complete its entire footprints in Layton by the end of 2019.
- Idaho Falls Fiber in Idaho Falls, Idaho, has voted to extend its high-speed fiber network to the entire city. UTOPIA Fiber is the operational partner of Idaho Falls Fiber, and will continue to support their success and development.
About UTOPIA Fiber
The Utah Telecommunication Open Infrastructure Agency (UTOPIA) is a community-owned fiber optic network utilizing light to transfer information, making it the fastest communication and data transfer technology in use today. Created by a group of Utah cities, UTOPIA Fiber supports open-access and promotes competition in all telecommunication services. For more information, contact Kim McKinley, Chief Marketing Officer, UTOPIA Fiber.
- Biden Commits to Net Neutrality, Twitter Hacking Spree, EU Court Rules Against Data Sharing Pact
- Social Media Platforms Should Increase Algorithm Transparency, Say Broadband Breakfast Live Online Panelists
- States Must Increase Accessibility of Both In-Person and Remote Voting, Say Brookings Panelists
- Breakfast Media Minute: July 16, 2020
- Air Force Aims to Expand 5G Capabilities to All Bases, According to CTO Frank Konieczny
Signup for Broadband Breakfast
Artificial Intelligence4 weeks ago
Brookings Panelists Emphasize Importance of Addressing Biases in Artificial Intelligence Technology
Artificial Intelligence2 weeks ago
U.S. State Department Employing Artificial Intelligence Against COVID-19 Misinformation
Broadband Roundup2 weeks ago
Artificial Intelligence Task Force, State Cybersecurity, ADTRAN Offers Rural Funding Guidance
#broadbandlive4 weeks ago
Broadband Breakfast Live Online on Wednesday, June 17, 2020 – Federal Broadband Funds and Opportunity Zones
Education3 weeks ago
A Mix of Resources and Technologies Are Needed to Close the Homework Gap
Fiber1 month ago
Bandwidth Demands Project 10 Gigabit Network Capabilities Required Next Decade
5G1 week ago
Verizon CEO Hans Vestberg Describes 5G-to-the-Home Vision, Claiming U.S. Leads in 5G Deployment
House of Representatives3 weeks ago
Witnesses Blame Social Media Algorithms for Spread of Misinformation